A very warm welcome to our new visitor Pam T and welcome back Carol! We hope you enjoyed meeting everyone and we look forward to seeing you again.
1. We had Winchester breast care nurse, Claire who kindly attended our meeting. Everyone found it really useful being able to ask Claire questions and advice. Some items covered were:
– Introduction of digital mammography in the last 2 years has led to earlier detection and diagnosis. Currently ladies aged 50-73 are screened. Claire advises those who have had a breast cancer diagnosis to continue with 3 yearly mammograms after the age of 73.
– With regards to who to contact when concerned about a possible recurrence, those who have had invasive bc (breast cancer) and under Winchester hospital can self refer indefinitely. For those who were treated at Basingstoke, they would have to see their GP and get a referral. For Southampton hospital, call bc nurse.
– New Smart Trial currently running. Uses Sentimag. Aim for future patients to avoid having to go to Basingstoke or Southampton for radioactive isotop.
– There’s a new drug undergoing NICE approval for hormone receptor positive and HER2 negative tumours for metastatic bc
– Tips to reduce burning, improve appearance of scars
a. R1 cream during radiotherapy
b. R2 cream after radiotherapy
c. Silicon cream or sheet to flatten keloid scarring
d. My Trusty Skincare launched by Salisbury NHS Foundation. ‘My Trusty Little Sunflower Cream’, repackaged in new attractive 100ml tubes and made available for general sale through a new website: www.mytrusty.co.uk and over the counter in the hospital Pharmacy, League of Friends sweet shop, the staff club and Cashier’s Office.
2. We also had a sale of gorgeous Amoena clothing and raised £15!
3. Updates from Linda:
– Huge thank you to Georgina for making the marble cake. It was scrumptious!
– Walking club – local walks will be organised very soon
– Need 1 volunteer to help run the group and 1 more to be treasurer
– Next Winchester Meeting is on 6 June with aromatherapist Amanda Stebbing. Please let Linda know by email if you plan to attend this meeting. Emma will be running the meeting that day.
– Next Eastleigh Meeting is on 20 June with Colour Consultant, Nicky.
A big thank you to breast care nurse Claire for her time, information and advice!
– Refreshments £7
– Amoena Sales £15. Another £3 to be collected from Pam at next meeting
– Cake £2
– £3.5 to be donated to Wessex Cancer Trust at the next meeting (we didn’t have any change)