We had breast care nurse Ann Stockley.
Those with cancers other than breast may find some of this useful.
Here are some updates from hospital
- The current matron is retiring tomorrow and Clare Clayden-Lewis has been seconded into this role for a year effective from 6/4. Clare will basically be incharge of all the breast care nurses.
- Basingstoke hospital – Alison Terry breast care nurse working 3 days a week and new BC nurse will be working 2 days.
- Mrs Paramanathan will fully retire in Jul 2022. Funding is in place for a replacement.
- Ginny Straker, who set up the support group over 34 years ago retired last week.
- Chemotherapy is back in Nick Jonas. Need negative LFT before entering ward.
- Cold cap option will be made available soon.
- Laura asked how many people actually managed to keep their hair with the cold cap. Ann will find out.
- PIFU (patient initiated follow up) – Do remember you can contact nurses if you have any concerns. Teresa shared her worsening symptoms and was asked to contact breast care team who can check her medical and help if breast related and may refer to GP if they don’t think it is.a
- Breast reconstruction book ‘Your Choice’ by Winchester breast surgeons Dick Rainsbury and Siobhan Laws is available online and Ann will send a link.
- Nipple tattoos will be available again soon as machines had to be sent to Germany for servicing. A couple of nurses will be trained.
- Medical photography will start again. Photos normally taken soon after surgery, one year and five years later.
- Lots of intraoperative radiotherapy (one dose radiotherapy during surgery) being done. Patients need to meet certain criteria. Applied for funding to have physicist from Southampton to do it
a. The Anthem Trial – comparing patient and clinical reported outcomes for oncoplastic surgery (breast conservation)
b. Endonet Trial to start – Endocrine therapy and hormone therapy trial